Makes: 13 cups
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks of onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 28 oz (796 ml) of tomatoes, diced or whole
- 19 oz (540 ml) can of kidney beans, rinsed
- 19 oz (540 ml) can of black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups (500 ml) of frozen kernel corn
- 2 tsp (10 ml) of chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each of cumin, oregano, paprika and garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) of black pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water
- Optional: Fat free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- Brown the hamburger meat. Drain off any fat.
- Add the onions, celery and green pepper. Cook until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Add water if soup seems too thick.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add extra water if getting too thick.
- Serve with a few whole grain crackers, whole wheat bread or tortilla chips
- Rinse canned beans and corn to remove extra salt or use ‘no salt added’ varieties.