Struggling with Obesity? Help is Here!
We understand you have struggled with obesity; help is just a phone call away! At SmartShape™, our team has dedicated themselves to helping people who struggle with obesity. Help is within reach and significant, sustained weight loss is real!
Why Diets Don't Work
The traditional “remedy” for being overweight is to exercise more while you eat less (and more sensibly). However, studies show that diets and commercial weight loss programs rarely produce sustained weight loss. Most people regain the weight they lose and many end up gaining even more. Many of our patients have shared their yo-yo dieting experiences and the feelings of frustration that follow. In fact, many have admitted that they have started diets with the expectation that they will fail!
The Lap-Band Procedure at SmartShape Does Work!1
Considering Weight Loss Options
When considering weight loss options, it is important to consult with a medical professional before you make decisions. Your health history is an important factor, as is your current weight in deciding which option is likely to work best for you. In assessing your weight, use the Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator, which takes into account your weight to height ratio.
Body Mass Index Calculator
A Few Facts About Obesity:
- Obesity is now the leading cause of preventable death in Canada and the United States.
- Obesity is a serious medical problem; over 60% of Canadians are categorized as being overweight or obese.
- Obesity in children is reaching epidemic proportions
- Obesity is linked to a higher risk of many health problems and can also affect your happiness and self-esteem
Risks of Obesity
- Increased risks to your physical and psychological health
- Reduced quality of life
- Higher risk of developing many health problems including diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, arthritis, high cholesterol and asthma
- Obesity can also affect fertility and increase risks of pregnancy
- Obesity is related to a higher incidence of depression
1Spivak H, Hewitt MF, Onn A and Half EE. Weight loss and improvement of obesity-related illness in 500 U.S. patients following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding procedure. Am J Surg. 2005;189:27-32.